Presenting the "My Best Healthy Recipe" (MHBR) series - healthy and easy-to-prepare home cooked recipes, shared by you, our readers!
HealthXchange "My Best Healthy Recipe" (MBHR) series
Cook at home during this COVID-19 "circuit breaker" period - and beyond! It's a great time to start a new, healthy habit. If you're looking for a variety of healthy, easy-to-prepare recipes, look no further than our very own "My Best Healthy Recipe" (MBHR) series! Featuring recipes from our very own readers, the range of dishes from appetisers, mains and desserts will spoil you for choice.
Be sure to visit HealthXchange each week as new recipes are added weekly! Because #healthiswealth #healthforgood #goodforhealth
Vegetable Broth - Shared by Mdm BC
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/2 Head of green cabbage, shredded
8 Ounces sliced button mushrooms
2 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 Large onions, chopped
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 Bunch celery
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
3 Carrots, grated
2 Green peppers, stemmed, seeded and grated
1 Diced tomato
2 Cloves garlic, grated
4 Cups of low-sodium chicken broth
1. Heat the oilve oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat, until it shimmers. Then, add the mushrooms and cook for about 5mins, stirring until it turns soft and brown.
2. Add the onions and cook for about 8mins, stirring until soft and golden. Add the celery, carrots, peppers and garlic and cook for about 5mins, stirring, until the vegetables begin to turn brownish and become fragrant. Stir in the soy sauce, garlic and onion powder, then add 2 teaspoons of salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
3. Add the cabbage into the pot and stir for about 2mins, until it begins to wilt.
4. Pour in the diced tomatoes, chicken broth and 1 cup of water. Stir and bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and let it cook for about 30 to 45mins, until the cabbage becomes tender.
5. Lightly season with some salt and pepper.
The Vegetable Broth is ready to be served!
About the participant
I am a retired house wife who enjoys cooking delicious and healthy dishes for my family to enjoy!
Recipe has been edited for clarity by the HealthXchange team.