HealthXchange collaborates with respected chefs in the F&B industry to bring you healthy recipes that can easily be created in the comfort of home.
HealthXchange's Professional Chef Series - Chef Damian Piedrahita of Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore
In an ongoing effort to promote healthy living and increase the quality of life for you, our reader, we have collaborated with professional chefs for their culinary expertise in creating healthy, easy-to-make dishes for you to try at home. Because #healthiswealth #healthforgood
Spaghetti with Green Kale Pesto
Spaghetti - 160g
Green Kale - 60g
Grounded Roasted Almonds - 30g
Green Olives - 10g
Lemon Juice - 5ml
Nutritional yeast - 1tsp
Salt - a pinch
Garlic powder - a pinch
Water - 50ml
Olive oil - 20ml
1. Add a pinch of salt to a pot of boiling water. Wash and clean the kale, also removing the central stem.
2. Prepare a bowl with water and ice.
3. Immerse kale in boiling water for 30 seconds, remove it, and immerse in the ice water. (do not throw the water away as it will be used to cook pasta)
4. Next, crush roasted almonds in a mixer, and then add in kale, green olives, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, salt and 50ml of water. Add olive oil last, adding little by little while mixing, so that pesto emulsifies and water and oil is blended well. The pesto should have a slight grainy texture.
5. Cook spaghetti in the same water that kale was blanched in. Remove the spaghetti 4 minutes before the cooking time indicated on it's packaging so that it is not completely cooked. Keep half a glass of the pasta cooking water.
6. Put the pesto in a pan and cook at low heat. Place the spaghetti in the pan with the pesto. Add the pasta cooking water and finish cooking in the pan over medium-high heat.
7. Plate and your dish is ready to be served!
About the Chef
Born in Uruguay, Chef Damian spent 13 years in Italy developing his career as a chef. 8 years ago, he set his heart on elevating plant-based gastronomy, searching to take the concept to a new level: plant-based food in a fine-dining context.
His vision of gastronomy is to promote a cuisine free from exploitation, using fresh and quality food. For this reason, he researches and develops recipes with organic and seasonal raw materials, respecting the quality and history of each product, to transform them into creative dishes with their own identity, making an authentic sustainable plant-based gastronomic culture. He is currently serving his brand of gastronomy as Plant-based Chef, in Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore.
About the Hotel
An icon within the hospitality industry, the name Shangri-La needs no introduction. Like it's namesake, Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore takes visitors away from the hustle and bustle of city life and into an almost otherworldly experience, with 15 acres surrounded by lush greenery providing the perfect spot for relaxation. Dining options are aplenty here, so there are no lack of options to fill busy business stomachs or happy families' bellies.
Address: 22 Orange Grove Rd, Singapore 258350
You can visit their website