Lifeline > Nose Cancer Support Group
We know it is very emotionally stressful to find out that you have contracted nose cancer. But all is not lost as there is hope.We know what you are going through as survivors we have been through it before. We believe that no one should have to go through this cancer journey alone. We are here to help you and give you hope.
Who are we?
A voluntary Support Group formed by nose cancer survivors to reach out to nose cancer (NPC) patients - current patients or survivors - and their care-givers. The Group has been formed under the auspices of the National Cancer Centre Singapore (NCCS) and works closely with health and medical professionals.
As nose cancer survivors, we are here to share our experiences as we have walked through the treatment journey before and know what to expect, lend a listening ear, offer words of comfort and hope, and help survivors with their post recovery care through sharing and learning from one another.
What do we offer?
The Group offers nose cancer (NPC) patients and their care-givers opportunities for:
- Interaction & sharing through organised activities
- Learn from health professionals about the many facets of nose cancer, including treatment and post recovery care.
- Includes advice on Diet, Recipes, Personal Sharing experiences, and much more.
- Support and care through the sharing of personal experiences and practices. Feel free to talk to us!
The NPC Support Group aims to provide knowledge and psychological and emotional support to nose cancer (NPC) patients and care-givers through organised activities, talks, care and the sharing of experiences and practices.
|NCCS Medical Advisers:||Dr Terence Tan
Dr Soong Yoke Lim
|Programme Leader:||Teo Thiam Chye (TC)|
|Members:||Lim Wai Cheng
Lim Kok Kiong
|NCCS Rep:||Travis Loh|
National Cancer Centre Singapore
Name: Mr Travis Loh
Phone: 6436 8668
NPC Support Group
Headed by Mr Teo Thiam Chye (TC)
Phone: 9631 7887
2017 Theme - Living with Nose Cancer
|6 January, Friday||Understanding the Role of Chemotherapy in Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma||Chemotherapy is usually offered to Stage 3 & 4A patients. Find out how chemotherapy helps to rid the body of cancer cells, as well as its side effects.|
|11 February, Saturday||Chinese New Year Celebration - Lohei Party||Let's come together as a NPC Family to celebrate Chinese New Year with a lohei, buffet lunch and karaoke party and wish each other a year of health, peace and prosperity.|
|3 March, Friday||TCM - Its Role in the Restoration of Health||Learn the TCM perspective of how the body falls ill and how TCM can address imbalances by combining herbal medicine, acupuncture and massage.|
|7 April, Friday||Side Effects of Head & Neck Radiation||Radiotherapy to the head and neck region is particularly challenging as there are many important nerves and organs that are vital for daily function. Unfortunately, radiation may result in permanent damage to some of these organs and have a significant impact on a patient’s quality of life. Find out what they are, how they affect function and what can be done about it.|
|5 May, Friday||Members' Sharing - My Journey with Cancer||Every survivor has his/her story to tell regarding their NPC journey from diagnosis through to treatment and life post-NPC. Hear what each has to say in this sharing session.|
|2 June, Friday||Members' Sharing - How to Live a Better & Healthier Life After Treatment||How can survivors live a better life after cancer treatment? Our survivors will share how each of them have managed to live well as an encouragement to others.|
|7 July, Friday||Muscular Exercises to Remediate/Prevent Post-Treatment Side Effects||Muscular tightness in the head, neck and shoulder area is a common side effect from radiotherapy. Learn from the physiotherapist those exercises needed to heal and prevent them.|
|18 August, Friday||Members' Sharing - Optimising Nutrition in our Body||For cancer survivors, a balanced diet that includes complex carbohydrates, good quality protein and healthy fats, minerals, vitamins, fibre and water is essential to our well being. Learn from fellow survivors how to optimise nutrition uptake to improve one's health.|
|8 September, Friday||Dental Issues - Dealing with oral cavities, weak gums, nerve pain and extractions||Beyond daily oral hygiene, survivors often have to face oral cavities, weak gums, nerve pains, tooth extractions and deep root canal issues. Learn from the dentist how to deal with these issues.|
|6 October, Friday||Securing Insurance Coverage After Diagnosis, In & Outs of LPAs & Wills||What types of insurance are available to cancer survivors like us? How are we assessed and how are policies priced? What is a Lasting Power of Attorney and how is it different from a will? Find out at this session from an insurance financial adviser cum fellow NPC survivor and a specialist in LPAs and wills.|
|3 November, Friday||Members' Sharing - Dealing with Recurrence||Hear from fellow survivors how they dealt with recurrence, went about choosing the most suitable treatment option, and rode the emotional roller coaster a second time.|
|December||Year End Break
Preparing for 2018
- Talk is held on the Friday of each month unless otherwise stated.
- Talk is held from 6.30pm to 9.00pm at the National Cancer Centre Function Room Level 4.
- Topics are subject to change without notice. Please check the website for any updates.
- To register for the talk, please email email@example.com.
- A Helping Hand You Can Hold
- A-Z of Nose Cancer
- Chinese New Year Lo-Hei 2011
- Cough Recipe
- Dengue Fever
- Eco Farm Trip
- Growing with the NPC Support Group
- Hospice - Death House or Heavenly Shelter
- Is it just the Flu or Cancer?
- Lending a Helping Hand
- Medical Test Reports
- Organic Farm Visit and Lunch
- Shingles Holiday
- Who Am I
- YOG Volunteer
Overcoming the Side Effects of Treatment
- Aloe Vera & Manuka Honey for Radiotherapy
- Blocked Ear? Here's a Natural Remedy
- Blood With Phlegm After RT Treatment - What Does it Mean
- Dental Cleansing Using Air Floss
- Making a Recovery After Treatment
- Managing the Common Side Effects of Radiotherapy (RT)
- My Chemotherapy Experience
- My Experience With Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma (NPC) Treatment
- My Way of Damage Control and Recovery
- Nose Cancer: Blocked and Ringing Ear Problem
- Nose Cancer: Managing the 4 Major Side Effects of Radiotherapy
- Nose Cleansing using Nose Cup
- Nose Flushing - What You Need to Do
- Radical Neck Dissection - My Personal Experience
Diet and Exercise
- Avocado Passion Fruit Smoothie
- DIY Fruit Enzyme
- Egg-cellent Nutrition
- Food Related Issues During Radiotherapy Treatment (RT) and Post Recovery
- Learning to Eat Well
- My Gained Overwhelmed My Lost
- My TCM Experience
- Nature has great healing power
- Sentosa Nature Walk cum Yoghurt Making Class
- The ABC of Vegetable Juice
Mind Over Body
- Life Before Death
- Living a Healthy Life after Nose Cancer
- Living with HOPE and Learning to COPE with Nose Cancer
- Making a Tough Decision Following Relapse From Nose Cancer - A Practical Thought Process
- My Encounter With Guo Lin Qi Gong
- My Journey in Coming to Term With Death
- My Journey With NPC
- Take Charge - Run The Race of Life
- The Story of Paul Tan
- When Cancer Returns
- You Do Not Walk Alone