As the saying “New Year, New Resolutions” goes, the start of a brand new year gives us an opportunity to set some goals for ourselves to achieve over the next 365 days.
Whether big or small, such as starting an MBA course or jogging twice a week, these resolutions are a powerful way to make positive life changes, but be sure to stay on track!
We ask some of our colleagues what they hope to achieve in 2019.
Executive, Strategic Human Resource - Scholarship Management & Publicity & Promotion
- I want to contribute: More time to helping underprivileged groups as it has been awhile since I last volunteered.
- I want to quit: ‘Quit’ is too harsh but I would like to focus on reducing my sugar intake.
- I want to try: To learn something new each day. It does not have to be something big - even watching a TED talk during my daily commute counts!
- I want to eat: There’s too many on the list of things that I wish to eat. Instead, I believe in counting the memories, not the calories!
- I want to start: Exercising more. I have already started by signing up for Fitness Classes organised by the SingHealth Worklife team.
Manager, Office of Biosafety
- I want to celebrate: Being healthy. I had a minor surgery last year and it was one of the most harrowing experiences I’ve had. However the incident has allowed me to appreciate my health and well-being more than ever.
- I want to meet: Joe Hisaishi, the Japanese composer and musical director known for over 100 film scores. He is a wizard who creates phenomenal music and has been a great source of inspiration for a significant part of my life.
- I want to focus on: Eating right. It’s harder than I thought. For a start, I’d like to snack less.
- I want to read: Romance of the Three Kingdoms, a 14th century historical novel attributed to Luo Guanzhong. I am keen to tie up the bits and pieces about history that I may or may not really know about.
- I want to start: Saving for my retirement. It’s never too early, right?
Executive Secretary, Governance & Finance
- I want to start: Adopting a more positive outlook in life and bettering my relationships with old and new colleagues. I hope to gain positive vibes by reading more self-improvement books.
- I want to learn: How to better manage working relations even with people who have different ideas and styles.
- I want to explore: Opportunities in other areas of work, especially in the service line. I hope to work at the front desk of a community hospital one day!
- I want to meet: People from all walks of life, especially those who understand the importance of health and the quality of life.
- I want to instill: A sense of gratefulness in myself. I intend to do this by reminding myself to always say “thank you”, this includes strangers even for their smallest gestures. I would like to cultivate a greater sense of appreciation both in and out of the work environment and live life with zest and zeal.
Senior Executive, Group Communications
- I want to travel to: Universal Studios in Orlando. Would like to visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter as I am a huge fan of the books and movies!
- I want to learn: How to cook healthy meals. I started cooking two years back and have a passion for this new found hobby. Presently, I like to cook Indian dishes and experiment with Thai food too.
- I want to improve: My persuasion skills. I believe that it’s an essential skill for success in every stage of life.
- I want to have: A pet dog. I have a soft spot for beagles. Convincing my husband is the real resolution here!
- I want to start: Reading more. I used to read a lot during my teenage days but stopped due to school, work and family commitments. I would like to pick up this habit again and I am aiming to complete at least 24 books in 2019.