When is a person considered obese? Is it more common in men or women? What is the ratio of obesity in Singapore? See this chart for the big picture about obesity in Singapore.
What is obesity?
Obesity is defined as having a BMI of 30 and higher.
Obesity in Singapore
- Number of obese people in Singapore has risen by 70 per cent
- One in ten Singaporeans between the ages of 18 and 69 is obese
- Obesity is more common in men (12.1 per cent) than women (9.5 per cent)
- Close to 58 per cent of Singaporens with a BMI of 23 or higher are pre-diabetic or suffer from one or more chronic conditions like diabetes
Tips to manage obesity
- Observe a healthy, controlled diet
- Exercise regularly
- Increase your physical activity
- Manage stress
- Have a positive outlook
* Before embarking on any lifestyle changes, consult a doctor, dietitian or trained counsellor.