Hospital Bag for Delivery: What to Pack
First-time parents usually ask, "What do I need to pack for my delivery?" The Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology at KK Women's and Children's Hospital (KKH) offers a list of useful items to prepare.
When packing a hospital bag for delivery
pick items that you and your partner will need to make you both comfortable in the delivery suite.
"Now is the time to gather all the essentials that you'll need for the delivery stay. So that you can stay calm when the day arrives."
Do not be daunted by the long list of items to bring — you do not need to bring all the things that are recommended here. "Instead, pick what you and your partner need and customise your own list to make yourself comfortable at the delivery suite," advises the Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology at KK Women's and Children's Hospital (KKH), a member of the SingHealth group.
Favourite items to pack in a hospital bag for delivery
- Toiletries (may be provided by hospital)
- Towel/facecloth (most mums prefer personal ones)
- 2 loose fitting nighties — preferably breastfeeding friendly (if you are not keen to use the hospital gown)
- Few pairs of underwear (preferably disposable)
- Socks (if you feel cold easily)
- Nursing bras
- Clothing to wear when discharge
- (optional) Birth plan — if you made one
- Some reading material or laptop when your spouse is resting
- Change of clothes
- Sweater (Delivery suite is incredibly cold)
- One baby outfit upon discharge
- Receiving blanket
- One pair of socks or booties
- One pair of mittens (so that baby doesn't scratch the face)
- Name list of people to call once baby arrives. You may inevitably forget to call someone
- Digital camera or handphone — to capture the precious moments