• Road changes due to ongoing infrastructure development designed to ease traffic flow
• Institutions on SGH Campus will be served by three separate non-connecting routes
Singapore, 9 December 2019 – To facilitate infrastructure development on Singapore General Hospital (SGH) Campus as part of the Campus masterplan, institutions on SGH Campus will be served by a destination-based road network of three separate, non-connecting routes with effect from Sunday, 29 December 2019.
Patients and visitors who are able to take public transport to the Campus are encouraged to do so. There are sheltered footpaths from the nearest bus-stops and Outram Park MRT station to various institutions on SGH Campus. For those who must drive, the destination-based road network was carefully planned to enable motorists to get directly to specific destinations on SGH Campus in a smooth and efficient manner, instead of looping through the Campus. This will help to improve traffic flow and ease congestion.
There will be directional signs erected along the route to direct motorists to reach their destinations.
Key Changes on SGH Campus
1. To access SGH Blocks 2/3, 4 and National Cancer Centre Singapore (NCCS), motorists should use Kg Bahru Road or Jalan Bukit Merah to enter via College Road.
2. To access Academia, Singapore National Eye Centre, Diabetes and Metabolism Centre and SGH Block 5 and 6/7, motorists should use Outram Road to enter via College Road.
3. Renaming of existing Hospital Drive to Hospital Crescent.
4. Opening of Hospital Boulevard and junction between new Hospital Drive (road between NHCS and Outram Community Hospital/SingHealth Tower) and Eu Tong Sen Street.
5. Permanent closure of a stretch of Second Hospital Ave, between Central Circus (in front of NCCS) and SGH Block 8.
6. Permanent closure of Hospital Drive, between Central Circus and Eu Tong Sen Street.
Please click here for maps illustrating the changes and recommended routes for motorists and pedestrians to get to institutions on SGH Campus.
New Carpark Options
With the recent opening of the Outram Community Hospital (OCH)/ SingHealth Tower, more parking options are available for motorists with 1,000 more parking lots available on SGH Campus. Patients and visitors who park at OCH/SingHealth Tower can use a link bridge on Level 2 that is connected to SGH Block 3 entrance. Please click here for full list of parking options on SGH Campus.
New Shuttle Bus Routes
From 2 December 2019, the free SGH Campus shuttle buses from Outram Park MRT station to SGH Campus will ply two bus routes on the destination-based road network. The routes will serve different institutions on the Campus, allowing patients to reach their destination faster compared to a single roundabout trip. All existing stops will be served by either one of the new bus routes and the frequency of the buses remains the same. Please click here for details of the shuttle bus service and routes.
Upcoming Infrastructure on SGH Campus
As part of the SGH Campus Masterplan developments, new facilities being built on the Campus include the new NCCS building, Emergency Medicine building, as well as new SGH and National Dental Centre Singapore building.
“We thank our patients and visitors for their understanding as we work to improve healthcare services for our population. We carefully planned this road network change in tandem with ongoing infrastructure redevelopment to help motorists get to where they need to go on SGH Campus with minimal disruption. Together with the dual shuttle bus routes from Outram Park MRT station, it is hoped that the road changes will ease congestion and facilitate smoother travel to our healthcare institutions.” said Mr Tan Jack Thian, Group Chief Operating Officer, SingHealth and Chief Operating Officer, SGH.