Breast cancer is the most common cancer among women in Singapore. Survival rates are higher when detected early, but many women aged 50-69 have not had a mammogram. SingHealth Polyclinics shares how GPs can help raise awareness of breast screening.
DETECT BREAST CANCER EARLY, SAVE LIVES
Breast cancer is the most common cancer among women in Singapore. According to the Singapore Cancer Registry report released in 2017, stage I breast cancer patients have a five-year survival rate of 90%, compared to 80% for stage II patients. Yet, less than 40% of women aged 50-69 in Singapore have had a mammogram.
You can raise awareness of breast screening, and encourage and recommend eligible patients to go for mammograms.
ACCESSIBLE MAMMOGRAMS FOR ALL
Tell your patients about BreastScreen Singapore (BSS), a national screening programme that aims to raise public awareness and encourage early detection of breast cancer to reduce mortality from this disease.
Mammograms for Singapore residents under Screen for Life are subsidised by the Health Promotion Board. They are also Medisave-claimable for eligible women aged 50 years and above.
Eligibility criteria for subsidised mammograms under Screen for Life:
- Singapore citizen or PR
- Has not gone for a mammogram
- within the past one year for women aged 40-49 years
- within the past two years for women aged 50 and above
- No breast symptoms such as breast lumps, bleeding, nipple discharge or any breast problems
- No breast implant / silicone injection
- No breast cancer history
- Has not been pregnant or breastfeeding for the past 6 months
For more information on Screen for Life, call 1800 223 0313 or visit www.healthxchange.sg/sfl.
Book a Mammogram
Breast screening is available at SingHealth Polyclinics.
Share this link with your patients: https://form.gov.sg/#!/5f50934b1e0c6e0011fad28e
You can also book appointments on behalf of your patients.
THE MAMMOGRAM APPOINTMENT BOOKING PROCESS
- GP or patient submits the patient's particulars and pre-screening eligibility checks via the online form
- SingHealth's BSS call centre agents will follow-up on the booking, rescheduling or cancellation of appointments
- Appointment details will be sent to the patient's email address within 5 working days