HealthXchange presents healthy recipes from professional chefs. These tasty dishes can easily be created in the comfort of home.
HealthXchange's Professional Chef Series - Chef Tiara Rodrigo of Locaba
In an ongoing effort to promote healthy living and increase the quality of life for you, our reader, we have collaborated with professional chefs for their culinary expertise in creating healthy, easy-to-make dishes for you to try at home. Because #healthiswealth #healthforgood
Vegan Chocolate Sponge Cake
½ tsp salt
48g cocoa powder
162g coconut oil
272g almond powder
1 ½ tsp Vanilla
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3 tbsp flaxseed
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup almond milk
30g sugar free and vegan protein powder
2 tsp instant coffee
1. Using a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, whisk together Locar, cocoa powder, almond powder, baking soda, baking powder, protein powder and salt.
2. Mix flaxseed and 9 tbsp of water and place in fridge for 5mins to create flax egg.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together coconut oil, vanilla, flax egg (from step 2), and milk.
4. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and beat well
5. Mix coffee powder and 3 tsp of water. Add into mix and beat well
6. Spread mixture into an 8-inch cake pan lined with parchment paper
7. Bake at 140°C with fan for 35mins
8. Serve and enjoy!
About the chef
With a firm conviction to be associated with the culinary arts from the tender age of 15, Tiara decided to pursue baking as a career. She started her professional training with fundamental courses at BITC (Baking Institute Training College) Singapore, and went on to refine her craft as one of the youngest students at Le Cordon Bleu (Thai and Paris campuses).
Having worked in establishments like the Intercontinental Hotel Singapore, Janice Wong’s sweet factory, Gordon Ramsay's Bread Street Kitchen, Pierre Herme in Paris, and Joël Robuchon Singapore, she gained a deeper appreciation for the culinary arts. She now works in business development for the Ponte Group which allows her to work with different parts of an F&B establishment, and have a more holistic view of the industry.
About the establishment
Locaba was founded in 2019 with the mission to create guilt-free desserts for everyone to enjoy, and with over 23,000 cakes sold and counting, they might be hitting the "sweet" spot. Founded in conjunction with the Ponte Group, Locaba is the brainchild of Markus Berndt, best-selling author and a lifelong advocate in the fight against diabetes. Under his watchful eye, Locaba strives to create healthy desserts that allow people who have dietary restrictions and/or just want to watch their caloric intake celebrate a special occasion or have a sweet treat.
*Locaba’s signature sweetener blend