Red bean soup has many health benefits and are good for health. Try out this recipe by Lim Wai Cheng, a NPC survivor.
It was not my intention to go vegetarian, nor did I ever succeed in being one. Meat is just too tough to bite and chew, not to mention swallowing it. Eventually I forget about meat in my diet almost totally. For protein intake, instead of meat, beans are a good choice. Red beans are for blood, black beans for kidneys and green beans for detox, soy beans for lots of benefits which I do not know how to name. Anyway,
red bean soup are very good for health, and a better choice for me. Besides giving me the protein, they are also rich in minerals, vitamins, fibre, etc. Anyway, I believe
red bean soup are good for my body, and will do no harm if taken in moderation.
- Red beans 100 g
- White fungus 1/6 of whole piece
- Lotus seeds
- Lily bulb
- Tangerine skin
- Brown rock sugar
- Soak white fungus and red beans overnight
- Soak lotus seeds and lily bulbs for 30 minutes
- Remove the centre core of lotus seeds, which can be bitter
- Cut white fungus into small pieces.
- Place all ingredients except rock sugar into saucepan. Boil and lower heat to cook for 1 hour. When the red beans are soft enough, add rock sugar and off heat.
- This red bean soup dessert can be served warm or cool.
- White fungus is so chewy and pleasant to bite. I just fall in love with it. Lotus seeds and lily bulbs are good for lungs. Although I do not know how to describe the benefits in English, the ingredients are really good. My body can accept it easily. Good food can be so simple to cook and affordable.
Contributed by Lim Wai Cheng / NPC survivor
Dated 18 February 2010
Diagnosed year 2005
The information and content contained within this website belongs to the NPC Support Group and its individual contributors. No whole or part of the information and content may be copied or re-produced without the written permission of the NPC Support Group. All requests for its use should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com