Healthy Nasi Kuning (Yellow Rice) Recipe
A yummy Malay rice dish that’s also a balanced meal. Natural herbs are used to enhance the dish’s taste, plus the dish is easy to make!
Nasi Kuning (Yellow Rice)
can be a balanced dish in itself. Just use healthier ingredients!
½ cup (100g) uncooked white rice
½ cup (100g) uncooked brown rice
½ tablespoon canola/olive oil
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
2 cloves garlic, chopped
¼ cup (50ml) low fat milk
200g canned tuna flakes in water
1 tomato, diced
50g mixed vegetables
1 tablespoon raisins/almond flakes (optional)
3 lime leaves, finely chopped
2 tablespoon chopped lemongrass
2 cups (400ml) water
Salt and pepper for taste
- Wash the rice and drain.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick wok. Stir-fry rice, turmeric, coriander, garlic, lemongrass and lime leaves.
- Transfer the mix into a rice cooker. Add pepper and salt for taste as well as low fat milk and water. Bring to boil with the lid uncovered.
- Stir to mix. Cover rice cooker and let it simmer until cooked.
- Remove rice from the rice cooker. Toss in the tuna, diced tomatoes and mixed vegetables while the rice is hot.
- Garnish with raisins, almond flakes, lemongrass and lime leaves.
- Serve hot.