Asparagus with Walnut-miso Dressing
Want to have asparagus with an extra hint of flavour? Try ours with a walnut-miso dressing, a recipe by Danny Chu from the Shojin Ryori cookbook.
Asparagus with walnut-miso dressing
Shojin Ryori, published by Marshall Cavendish.
- 32 thin asparagus spears
- Walnut-miso dressing
- 20 g (2/3 oz) walnuts
- 2 tsp white miso
- 2 tsp mirin
- 1 tsp flaxseed oil
- Prepare walnut-miso dressing. Heat a frying pan over medium heat and add walnuts. Stir constantly for 2–3 minutes until walnuts start to brown. Remove from heat immediately.
- Grind toasted walnuts with a suribachi or mortar and pestle. Transfer ground walnuts to a bowl and add miso, mirin and flaxseed oil. Mix well and set aside.
- Trim root ends of asparagus and blanch in boiling water. Drain and cool under running water and drain again.
- Cut asparagus into halves or thirds lengthwise.
- Coat with walnut-miso dressing.
- Arrange on individual serving plates and serve.
Drain the asparagus well before mixing with the dressing or the dressing will not adhere to the asparagus spears.
Marshall Cavendish, Shojin Ryori retails for S$46.68 (before GST) and is available at all leading bookstores.