Baby Development Milestones: Newborn
Although newborns tend to be sleepy the first few days after birth, there are milestones you can look out for. The KK Women's and Children's Hospital (KKH) General Paediatrics and Adolescent Medicine Service shares what they are.
spend most of their first few days after birth sleeping but gradually become more awake and alert.
Baby development milestones: Newborn
- The physical development of your newborn begins at the head, then progresses to other parts of the body.
- Newborns are usually sleepy in the first few days after birth, gradually giving way to longer periods of alert wakefulness and physical activity.
- Your newborn may shift his or her eyes towards nearby sources of continued sound like cooing. It is common for babies to display startled reaction to sudden loud noises.
- Unable to raise head. Head falls backwards if pulled to sit.
- Opens eye when held in an upright position.
- Bonds with mother. Smiles at mother.
- Responds to high-pitched tones by moving limbs.
- Hands are fisted, the arms are flexed.